Winter is Here! Follow These Tips to Stay Safe This Chilly Season!
With the recent public safety power outages, some homeowners may be forced to take uncommon and drastic measures to provide heat. Ensure that you’re following all safety guidelines for the methods you use, whether it be an inside propane burner, candles, wood stoves or open flames. Even when the power is on traditional space heaters and electric blankets deserve precautions – clearing away low hanging sheets, towels and checking extension cords for bad plugs and frayed insulation. This is the time of year when fires in kitchens and living areas occur most. Our highly trained SERVPRO of Yuba City/ Grass Valley technicians understand that accidents happen.
Helpful Tips for Home Fire Safety
- When the power is out, it is usually a bad choice to use propane heating units inside living areas simply because of the danger of carbon monoxide build up. CO2 is highly lethal in strong concentrations. Without odor or smell the gas from internal space heaters can cause loss of consciousness for occupants.
- Extra caution is advised with an open heating flame being too close to unseen combustible material such as paper, bed sheets and fabric towels.
- When the power is on be on the lookout for damaged electric wall sockets and exposed wiring in extension cords. Also keep in mind that home electrical wiring and the circuit breaker can only take so much wattage on a circuit. Always follow the voltage limits and manufacturer directions on the device.
More Tips for Space and Propane Heater Safety
- Space heaters require a clear, flat surface for safety and to remain stable while in operation.
- Don’t put space heaters on carpets or rugs.
- Newer model heaters are installed with a floor shut off device that if the unit is leaning or falls shut off occurs. Check your heater to make sure it has that device.
- The key safety point for propane heaters is to have adequate ventilation to outside air. Also, battery powered combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors installed around heating areas can be potential life savers – especially at night when temperatures drop, heaters are left on and occupants are asleep.
- Finally, children, pets and the elderly or those persons with compromised immune systems can be especially susceptible to the inhalation of invisible heater off-gassing, fumes and CO2.
Your friends here at SERVPRO of Yuba City/ Grass Valley hope that by implementing the above guidelines you may never have to experience the impact of a fire damage resulting from unsafe space heaters, propane heating units, or electrical device malfunctions.
If you do experience any fire damage events in your home call us immediately for a fast day or night response from our trained and qualified technicians.
Call SERVPRO of Yuba City/ Grass Valley Today!